Council has approved a Backyard Chicken Pilot program for all properties within Springwater. The pilot program has now commenced and will end on October 7, 2023.
Following extensive public consultation, on November 18, 2020, Council approved the final step to permit a three (3) year pilot program to allow the keeping of backyard chickens. All properties, that meet the setback requirements, within the Township of Springwater now have the ability to keep a maximum of four (4) hens, in accordance with the following By-laws:
To be approved to have backyard chickens, you must submit a complete application with the required supporting documents to the Clerks department for approval. Applicants are required to renew their license annually, as it will expire on December 31 of each year.
All applicants are required to review the following education materials:
- Keeping Your Birds Healthy (OMAFRA);
- Biosecurity Recommendations for Small Flock Poultry Owners (OMAFRA);
- Small Flock Poultry: Raising Healthy Birds (OMAFRA);
- Rodent Control in Livestock and Poultry Facilities (OMAFRA); and,
- Keeping your family healthy with backyard poultry, including chicks and ducklings (Ministry of Health).
For further information, please contact the Clerk's Department.